‘Life is a beach’, goes the pun on the otherwise profane adage, and we couldn’t agree more. Nothing beats sitting on a lazy recliner, favourite mocktail in hand, watching the calming waves languidly crashing into the shores. The only activity that can disturb such a peaceful environment is the sight of kids running around chaotically – more so if they’re your own. But let’s face it: you love the drama. And the little ones make your world better. So this time around, book a beach destination with the kids, for some splashy time with the family. Here are our top picks:
Koh Samui is a great place to rejuvenate, however, the kids aren’t going to let you relax till they are tired to the bone. You’ve got to plan a lot of activities to keep them busy, so we’ve scouted some gems for the kids.
- Go to Lamai in Koh Samui for a day at the Coco Splash Adventure and Water Park or a smaller aqua park on Chaweng beach. Coco Splash Adventure and Water Park is spread over 10,000sqm and has plenty for not just the kids but adults too.
- Zip-line in the rain forest or go-karting at Bophut then visit Central Festival Samui shopping mall
- If the kids love horror, the Pirate Adventure horror house and Pirates of Marioland gaming arcade will surely entertain. It’s themed on the Pirates of the Caribbean series and is a light hearted horror experience.
We’ve got some HomeAways picked specifically for families visiting Koh Samui. Have a look:
Villa with an Infinity Pool
There’s nothing quite like the view of the infinity pool topped by the view of the sea beyond it. The modern design of the villa goes well with the beautiful pool deck and two of the three bedrooms even have a rain shower with a pebbled floor. This HomeAway is also just minutes away from Kite Surf School, Tiger Zoo, and the aquarium, so you can keep your kids entertained at all times.
Average price per night: MYR 947
Lavish beachside villa
You’d pretty much be living in style at this three bedroom beachside villa. Located right next to Nahai Beach, It’s got a lovely swimming pool to dunk the kids into and offers great views of the sea from some of the rooms. Every room is luxuriously appointed and there’s a nice mix of indoor and outdoor spaces inside the villa to enjoy.
Average price per night: MYR 1699
The island is culturally rich, and there are quite a few kid friendly activities.
- Waterbom Bali in Kuta has to top your list on things to do with the kids. There are 17 waterslides here, and many rate this place among the best in Asia.
- Visit the Bali Safari and Marine Park. From white tigers to elephants and rhinos, the park is home to many animals from Asia and Africa.
- Check out the surf school in Legian where kids can learn the art of balancing foam boards on waves. It tests their skills and the water is always fun.
- Go river rafting, banana boating at the beach or to the trampoline center (Bounce Bali)
Make Bali a long enough vacation if you want to cover them all. But let your stay be the least of your worries:
Pool House Villa with Private Pool
This HomeAway consists of a 13-metre pool that runs the width of the house, has four luxuriously appointed bedrooms, and the villa is fully-air conditioned. The house comes with a big garden with a beautiful deck and lounge seating with the villa staff always on call at all times. and will organise a relaxing spa treatment inside the villa.
Average price per night: MYR 534
Modern Seminyak Villa
Just five minutes away from Oberoi district, this modern villa in Seminyak is ideal for a family of four. Two luxurious bedrooms with glass walls overlook the private pool. A tastefully done wooden deck lines the pool and leads you to a nice indoor seating space. The kids will love the contemporary interior merging with the rainforest themed landscape and the free wireless internet.
Average price per night: MYR 682
The Karst islands of Phuket are a mesmerising sight for vacationers, as are the beautiful white sand beaches; however, if you don’t entertain the kids, it could be one hectic trip.
- Tour the aquarium. See tropical and exotic marine life all around you.
- Phuket has its share of adventure parks, karting tracks and surf schools.
- The inverted house – Baan Teelanka. The house is designed upside-down with the roof being the floor and the furniture stuck to the ceiling.
- Trickeye 3D museum for if you want photos that make wonderful memories of a good vacation.
When in Phuket, you could stay at these HomeAways.
Oceanfront Pool Villa
Located in a private luxury neighbourhood, this villa is tastefully designed with Thai furnishings that blend beautifully with the contemporary interiors. It’s a lovely place to stay as the house is conveniently located near Patong bay and the unspoilt Tri Trang beach is just a 5-minute walk away.
Average price per night: MYR 1944
Cosy 1-Bedroom Villa for 4
Stay in this ‘romantic’ themed Villa with your partner and kids. Though there is only one bedroom, the sofa bed comfortably sleeps 2 kids. Professionally managed by hotel staff, your stay at this villa will ensure that you and the fam are well taken care of. Relex and rejuvenate from your pool facing bedroom and watch the kids tire themselves out as you chill out from the bed.
Average price per night: MYR 298