Even the most indulgent of parents can’t control the weather, so here’s what we suggest: Make it cooler – literally and figuratively. Here are some destinations that you can visit to escape the scorching heat this summer! The kids will thank you, in which you may thank us later.
Though Australia is blazing hot during the summer, this time of the year the wintry breeze engulfs the continent. Our top picks in Australia would be to visit the ultra-beautiful cities of Sydney and Melbourne. Travel sites might give you the usual ‘grown-up’ stuff to do in these cities, but we’ve carefully handpicked some interesting activities and that will satisfy both – your children and your inner child.
Despite the iconic landmarks like Sydney Opera House and Harbour, kids might fancy a little more adventure. Here are a list of places and things you can do with the whole family:
- Visit the Taronga Zoo to interactive with animals from all over the world
- The Darling Harbour houses a massiv playground with numerous slides, swings and fun activities
- The Sea Life Sydney Aquarium and Wildlife Park for more animal action
- Plan a trip to Cockatoo Island, a UNESCO World Heritage Site that was previously a renowned prison and get in on the history
- Powerhouse Museum exhibits sculptures of DC comic’s most iconic superheroes constructed from over a million Lego bricks
All that exploring will tire you, and you’ll be aching to get back to the comforts of your home – so we’ve selected these HomeAways that will emulate that homely feeling:
Prestige 2-bedroom apartment
If the view is what excites you, then you’re in luck since this spacious HomeAway is located right at the top. The Botanical Gardens, Opera House, and Sydney Harbour Bridge are within the gaze of your eyes. The best of Sydney’s eateries, including the much-famed Harry’s Café de Wheels, are all within walking distance.
Average price per night: SGD 258
Cozy Home Stay in the Suburbs of Sydney
Located outside the city itself, this newly developed 3-bedroom home takes you away from the hustle and bustle of city life and allows you to live the suburban Australian lifestyle. Perfect for up to 10 guests.
Average price per night: SGD 329
Australia’s second most populous city is also one of its best, offering the finest of what the continent has to offer – from lovely sightseeing spots to a buzzing nightlife. But allow us to enlighten you on the family-friendly activities that Melbourne offers.
- Pauline Gandel Children’s Gallery is specially designed for the younger ones and is considered the gold standard for early childhood learning. This place also offers a space called ‘The Nothing Nook,’ – a quiet sanctuary of sorts for them to recharge their mind, body, and spirit.
- Children who love theme parks will have a gala time at Luna Park. There’s a roller coaster that offers some of the most scenic sights in Melbourne and takes you at a comfortable pace around the whole park.
- Check out the Sea Life Melbourne Aquarium, Gumbuya World, and Wonderland Fun Park.
- Our top pick for some fun learning is the Collingwood Children’s Farm, where kids can have a first-hand experience of what life on a farm entails – from milking the cows to riding a pony!
A city as welcoming as Melbourne deserves a stay that’s equally welcoming, so we suggest you ditch the fancy hotels in favour of these classy, comfortable HomeAways:
Deluxe apartment with a terrific view
This place is peppered with cafes all around it and The apartment is super spacious so expect a lot of running around and comes with high-speed internet for a Peppa Pig marathon on YouTube.
Average price per night: SGD 109
Luxury new apartment in CBD
This HomeAway is able to house up to 6 guests. Central to everything the CBD has to offer from shops, restaurants and transports. It is the perfect base for any family with kids.
Average price per night: SGD 174
Think of what you expect from the ideal vacation spot and you’ll find it here. Orchards, farmlands, rivers, lakes, wildlife, golf course, museums…you name it.
- Immerse the kids in nature with a visit to the Butterfly Garden, where these beautiful creatures (don’t call them insects!), flutter past you in all their colourful glory.
- Visit the Cameron Lavender Garden, Time Tunnel Museum, and Water Crest Valley.
- Cameron is highly regarded for growing the best and most succulent strawberries in the world so don’t forget to head over to Big Red Strawberry Farm
As always, your stay is sorted with us! Check out these HomeAways:
Leisurely holiday apartment
How high can you go in the Highlands? Well, this lovely penthouse is situated in the highest village in the Cameron Highlands, and close to some of the most scenic strawberry farms, such as Kea Strawberry Farm, EQ Strawberry Farm, and Raju’s Hill Strawberry Farm. Time for some fruity fun!
Average price per night: SGD 121
Amidst the cool, crisp air of Cameron Highlands, lies the beautiful Greenhill Apartment. The apartment is cosy, offers a home away from home concept best for a family get together and spending quality time.
Average price per night: SGD 110
Philippines’ prettiest city is also, quite expectedly, its most popular tourist destination. Its location at a high altitude means that it experiences a cooler climate, making it the ideal getaway for those looking for some respite from the heat.
- Take a trip around 61 kilometres away from Tagaytay to DreamPlay, an entertainment centre built solely for kids, featuring characters from Dreamworks films such as Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda, Shrek, Lion King – basically all of them!
- Let the fun continue at Sky Ranch, a mini amusement park featuring a host of child-friendly rides.
- Paradizoo that educational tours around its butterfly farm, honey bee farm, vegetable and flower gardens, and goat house.
All that activity is going to wear the kids out as sunset approaches so here are the best HomeAways in and around:
Pet-friendly 2-bedroom rest house
It doesn’t get better than this classy HomeAway with a large outdoor area for the children, and their furry friends, to run and play around in. The natural ventilation on 3 sides will provide a constant burst of fresh oxygen, thanks to all the greenery around. But just in case you’d like to experience the materialistic side of things, then Ayala Mall is within walking distance.
Average price per night: SGD 102
Cosy condo with a great lake view
Ever seen those places on postcards and wished you lived in such an area? Well, make that happen in this ultra-cute HomeAway that provides a gorgeous view of the lakes and mountains from the 16th floor. Crisp, mountain air never felt this close. Oh, and children can use the kiddie play area located on the 3rd floor at no extra cost!
Average price per night: SGD 58